Job Number 22113304
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates VIEW ON MAP
Located Remotely? N
Position Type Non-Management
Entry level management position that focuses on successfully accomplishing the daily objectives in the kitchen. Leads staff while personally assisting in all areas of the kitchen, including food production; purchasing and kitchen sanitation. Position contributes to ensuring guest and associate satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget. Entry level management position that focuses on successfully accomplishing the daily objectives in the kitchen. Leads staff while personally assisting in all areas of the kitchen, including food production; purchasing and kitchen sanitation. Position contributes to ensuring guest and associate satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget.
Supervise and coordinate activities of cooks and workers. Determine how food should be presented and create decorative food displays. Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and food garnish to be served. Monitor the quantity of food that is prepared. Inform Food & Beverage service staff of menu specials and out of stock menu items. Prepare special meals or substitute items. Assist cooks and kitchen staff with various tasks. Provide cooks with needed items. Monitor stock of kitchen supplies and food. Maintain kitchen logs for food safety program and food products. Ensure the quality of the food items and notify manager if a product does not meet specifications.
Assist management in hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating, counseling, disciplining, and motivating and coaching employees. Follow all company and safety and security policies and procedures; report maintenance needs, accidents, injuries, and unsafe work conditions to manager; complete safety training and certifications. Ensure uniform and personal appearance are clean and professional; maintain confidentiality of proprietary information; protect company assets. Address guests’ service needs. Speak with others using clear and professional language. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others; support team to reach common goals; listen and respond appropriately to the concerns of other employees. Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards. Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time. Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping. Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance. Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
The following are specific responsibilities and contributions critical to the successful performance of the position:
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are met
- Maintains food handling and sanitation standards.
- Performs all duties of Culinary and related kitchen area associates in high demand times.
- Overseas production and preparation of culinary items.
- Ensures associates keep their work areas clean and sanitary.
- Works with Restaurant and Banquet departments to coordinate service and timing of events and meals.
- Complies with loss prevention policies and procedures.
- Strives to improve service performance.
- Communicates areas in need of attention to staff and follows up to ensure follow through.
- Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications.
- Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
- Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
Supporting Culinary Team Activities
- Supervises daily shift operations.
- Ensures all associates have proper supplies, equipment and uniforms.
- Supervises staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
- Ensures completion of assigned duties.
- Participates in the associate performance appraisal process, giving feedback as needed.
- Handles associate questions and concerns.
- Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions for each position.
- Participates in an on-going associate recognition program.
- Conducts training when appropriate.
- Monitors associate’s progress towards meeting performance expectations.
Maintaining Culinary Goals
- Participates in department meetings and continually communicates a clear and consistent message regarding the departmental goals to produce desired results.
- Supports and assists with new menus, concepts and promotions for the Restaurant outlets and Banquets.
Providing Exceptional Customer Service
- Sets a positive example for guest relations.
- Handles guest problems and complaints seeking assistance from supervisor as necessary.
- Empowers associates to provide excellent customer service within guidelines.
- Reports malfunction in department equipment.
- Purchases appropriate supplies and manages food and supply inventories according to budget.
- Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings (e.g., Daily Stand Up, BEO, Pre-Cons, Staff, Forecast, Department and Intradepartmental).
- Food Safety
- Follow appropriate personal hygiene procedures to ensure food served to guests is safe for consumption, including disinfecting hands prior to handling food and wearing a hat/hairnet and proper footwear.
- Follow and ensure compliance with food safety and handling policies and procedures, such as product rotation, First In-First Out (FIFO); dating, labeling, cleaning, and organizing coolers/freezers/storage areas; and Cold Chain compliance, across all food-related departments and areas.
- Prepare all potentially hazardous foods at the correct temperature according to the HACCP guidelines.
- Maintain kitchen logs for food safety program compliance (e.g., A1, A2, A3 etc.).
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of company Food Safety Programs within assigned area of responsibility, as well as Dubai Municipality standards.
- Follow guidelines and checklists related to PIC (Person in charge)
- Support initiatives related to food safety.
- Report any guest complaints or other issues related to food safety to the Culinary management.
- Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food using thermostats and thermometers, including monitoring freezer systems, such as fans, drains, and doors, for proper operation, and report issues or problems to facility management.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and Marriott Hotels.
About Marriott International
Marriott International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAR) is based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, and encompasses a portfolio of more than 7,000 properties under 30 leading brands spanning 131 countries and territories. Marriott operates and franchises hotels and licenses vacation ownership resorts all around the world. The company now offers one travel program, Marriott Bonvoy™, replacing Marriott Rewards®, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®, and Starwood Preferred Guest®(SPG). For more information, please visit our website at www.marriott.com, and for the latest company news, visit news.marriott.com. In addition, connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.